We’ve spent more time at home over the past year than ever before, so it’s no surprise that we’ve started expecting our homes to be smarter. In fact, a recent survey conducted by Realtor.com and YouGov found that a large share of consumers would be willing to pay more for a home that features smart devices or systems. From smart home features focused on energy efficiency and security to entertainment and comfort, here are some smart home upgrades that you may want to consider before listing your home.
- Smart thermostats. Energy costs are rising, which is why so many homebuyers appreciate connected climate control systems. Some smart thermostats use geofencing to adjust the temperature when you’re around, some have voice controls, and others are built to learn your unique preferences over time. Upgrading your thermostat is a fairly inexpensive, easy task that can have a big impact when it hits the market.
- Smart security system. Technology that enhances a home’s security ranked at the top of the survey results, especially among parents with young children — something to keep in mind if your home is in a neighborhood that’s popular among this particular sector. Most smart home security systems include door and window sensors and motion detectors, and some others include surveillance cameras, sirens, water sensors, and smoke/CO detectors.
- Video camera connected doorbell. Whether monitoring deliveries or answering the door when you’re away from home, video doorbells help you keep an eye on your home from your smartphone.
- Smart door locks. Keys are so last century. Make it easier to unlock your doors with Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth-enabled locks. Some may unlock automatically when they detect your smartphone nearby, while others can be accessed via a keycode. Smart locks are also incredibly convenient when your house is on the market, as you can set them up to see who’s entering your home when, and how long they’re staying.
- Smart lighting. Another smart feature that impacts energy efficiency, smart lighting is not only practical but can enhance your home dramatically on the inside and outside. Smart lighting is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to dive into smart home technology. Buyers will be impressed with lights they can control with their voice, or that they can control remotely.
Even in today’s seller’s market, smart home upgrades are an effective way to set your home apart from any competition and ultimately help it fetch a higher asking price. If you’re ready to sell your home and looking for more tips on getting top dollar, contact the team at Ruckart Real Estate to get started.